Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Where this year has taken me, so far...

I am the type of person that changes their minds...regularly. In fact, it often changes from one extreme to the other. I have been like this for as far back as I can remember. Does this mean I don't really have a solid idea of who I am? Do I lack commitment? Am I too fickle? I have been told by at least 2 people that I am the funniest, coolest person to be around so I am chalking all this non-committal stuff to testing out all scenarios. I am also very naive.

The reason I am starting this blog is because my husband and I have always hated kids (wait! the good part has yet to come). It was certainly an unfounded hatred as neither of us has been around children that we personally knew; it was mostly the restaurant crowd, or the mall crowd, aka the screaming, crying, tantrum-throwing crowd, but our revulsion was not limited to the crying kind. We also hated "children sounds." You know, those delightful squeals that little kids make when their playing, laughing, being overall innocent kids? We couldn't stand it. They are loud, their voices too high, and most of all, they are unpredictable. If one of those gremlins dared to run in our direction, which was often, we would dodge them like the plague and then throw a disgusted glance towards the parents' direction. That being said, I am a huge advocate of the child leash.

Yes, we were those people. It didn't help that we were still bitter from our one incident at a local IHOP when the host bypassed us in favor of the family with baby-in stroller because of the fact that they can procreate. Big freaking deal, we were there first! People with babies were always getting perks that the rest of us 'responsible' folk didn't get to enjoy.

All this changed last month. See, I am very close to my cousin Lauren. Unfortunately, we do not get to see each other very often as we live thousands of miles apart. L had a baby last year and we finally made the trip to see her. We call her Mei Mei. Now keep in mind, MM is the first baby we have been around that came out of someone we are close to. The feeling is completely different than any other random baby on the street. We loved her immediately because she was an extension of my beloved cousin. Even when she cried, we still looked at her with adoration and love. It was like our brains malfunctioned and had to be rewired after meeting her. And just to put it out there, MM screamed and cried--quite loudly, into my ear on multiple occassions. It was not like we hung out with angel baby for two weeks and were fooled into thinking they were cute chubby silent cabbage patch kids.

So fast forward a few weeks after we came back home. We decided we wanted our own Mei Mei. We are crazy! Just before our trip, husband-man had booked a vasectomy to sever his baby-makin'-man-parts because we were sure we didn't want that BURDEN. I think husband was the first one that crossed over....he just turned the big 3-0 and is old and probably felt his bio-clock tick. He went and took out 2 books from the library and so I had the pleasure of reading all about the do's and don'ts of nutrition while sporting a bowling ball belly. These books did NOT make me want to host a freeloadin' mass in my stomach because among the dozens of sugary treats I eat on a weekly basis, it also vilified my favorite beverage of all time...coffee. But more on that later because I'm rambling.

Long story short, we have taken the plunge and have decided to have a baby. My only consolation besides all the love and warmth we will feel for this little thing, is that we will get super baby perks and someone to train to be badass like her mommy and daddy.

This is our journey, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment